The Congregational Health Promoter Program (CHPP) is a basic preparation course to train laypeople wishing to start a wellness ministry or gain skills and knowledge to volunteer within an established ministry. The course is ideal for church members, community health advocates, ministry leaders and social workers who are not registered nurses. There are no educational prerequisites.
Upon completion of CHPP, the participant will:
- Embrace the integration of faith and health as central to the wellness ministry leader role.
- Demonstrate the knowledge, attitude and skills to lead a wellness ministry.
- Value a peer system of support.
- Be able to identify a network for continuing development and support.
- Make a personal commitment to continued spiritual formation to more effectively perform the health promoter congregational role.
Participants should come prepared to spend time:
- Reflecting on your calling as a congregational health promoter.
- Sharing your faith with others.
- Praying, singing and rejoicing!
- Stretching your understanding of faith and community wellness.
- Enjoying a spiritual, retreat-like atmosphere.
The CHPP course takes place over five evenings. Each session is three hours. Please click on the link to see current training dates. Light meals are served before each class, and a participant-led prayer and devotion begins and ends each session.
Upon completion of this program, the participant should be able to:
- Provide access to wellness and preventive activities.
- Provide referrals to community and health services.
- Build faith community teams.
- Promote healthy lifestyles.
- Health Promotion & Chronic Disease
- Spiritual Care & Prayer
- Assessment Strategies
- Spiritual Self Care
- Accessing Community Resources
- Program Evaluation & Reporting
- Nutrition & Exercise
The Commissioning Service
The commencement service is usually held in the evening, and the class will select one of its peers to issue a challenge to the graduating class. Class members will also offer input in developing a class vow as they commit themselves to this ministry.